Sunday, March 13, 2011

“What Does the Dietitian Order?” @ IHOP

Reviewed February 17, 2011 by Anna Gewecke, MS, RD, LDN

4 out of 5 Forks

My husband wanted sausage on a Thursday night, and I was game for breakfast for dinner, so we decided to go to IHOP. I ordered the garden omelet because of the number of vegetables it includes (mushrooms, onion, green pepper and tomato), because it has plenty of protein, and because it comes with pancakes. I could have gotten fresh fruit instead, but I really like pancakes! Many breakfast choices don’t contain veggies, and eating these as much as I can is important to me. The server gave me the butter on the side without any grief.  I noticed later that IHOP now has a whole wheat pancake with real blueberries - one of my favorite foods!  When my omelet came, I was disappointed in the amount of vegetables it actually contained. With so many listed, I expected it to be FULL of veggies, but they were really more of a condiment. If I had to do it over, I would have asked for extra veggies, and also for the blueberry pancakes (even though I suspect that would have cost more).  Another thing I did was order with the plan to eat less than half of the omelet, since IHOP’s omelets are HUGE. I took home about 2/3 of the omelet and 1/3 of the pancakes, and ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day!

IHOP has rolled out their “Simple & Fit” menu items since the last time I was there. I like that these are easily distinguished from the other menu items by a green circle with a strawberry and that all these items have the calories listed (although none of the others do).  I was surprised to see that IHOP actually has a lot of foods that qualify for “Simple & Fit” description.  Unfortunately, these menu items can be up to 600 calories, which is a bit high.  They also have suggestions on the menu for how to order your favorite menu items to make them lower calorie - like to order without butter or with sugar free syrup. Nutrition information is available online. 

Prices at IHOP are in the $7-10 range, making it quite affordable. I wouldn’t have thought of IHOP as a healthy restaurant before, but with the “Simple & Fit” menu, it’s easy to make healthy, even low-calorie choices there.  And like at any restaurant, you can order most foods with extra vegetables, or look for the items that contain a lot of vegetables or fruits in order to boost the nutrition and keep your choice low calorie. 4 forks! Not bad!


Submitted by: 
Anna Gewecke, MS, RD, LDN
(865) 305-8099
agewecke@utmck.edu

IHOP has multiple locations in the Knoxville area and received 4 out of 5 forks because non-fried appetizers are not available. 

3 comments:

  1. Great article Anna!! It's good to know IHOP has improved nutritionally over the years. I always found it hard to eat there. I may give them another try.--Lorin RD,LDN,CDE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney Johnson, RD,LDNMarch 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

    Another thing I like about IHOP is that is offers Egg Beater Eggs. You could substitute the Egg Beaters in place of real eggs for any omlete to help reduce fat, calories, and cholesterol. Also, it's been awhile since I have asked for this, but some IHOPs will allow you to substitute the pancakes or side item for a steamed veggie. I use to get the Veggie Omelet and add a side of broccoli to bump up my veggie servings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, Courtney! I just hate to go to IHOP and not get pancakes :) Next time, I'm going to get the whole grain blueberry pancakes. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete