Sunday, March 20, 2011

"What Does the Dietitian Order?" @ Soccer Taco

Reviewed March 5, 2011 by Anna Gewecke, MS, RD, LDN

3 out of 5 Forks

I went to Soccer Taco in Bearden for lunch on March 5.  Soccer Taco offers lunch specials, including a special price on fajitas, so that’s what I ordered!  Fajitas can be a really healthy dish, if you do it right. At Soccer Taco, the fajitas always come with green and red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomato, with your choice of meat or without if you follow a vegetarian diet.  The main thing that Mexican restaurants do to make them unhealthy is that big scoop of butter to make it sizzle right before they bring it out to you- that and the portion size.  The other thing that goes wrong with fajitas is the extra stuff- the beans, rice, sour cream, guacamole, etc.  So I ordered the fajitas without the butter and limited my intake of the rice (I was already getting starch from the tortillas), filled my tortillas with lettuce, pico and veggies (the low calorie, high nutrient stuff), skipped the sour cream, and used the guacamole sparingly (after all, avocado is a “good fat”).  I also took home half of the dish to eat later.  What I could have done better was not eat any of the rice or the chips and salsa appetizer.  I think if I went out to eat every day or almost every day, I would be better about turning those things down, but since I only go out once or twice a week, and am sure to get plenty of exercise as well as eat well the rest of the week, I feel like I can splurge a little on the occasion that I go to a restaurant as tasty as Soccer Taco. 

Submitted by:
Anna Gewecke, MS, RD, LDN
(865) 305-8099
agewecke@utmck.edu

Soccer Taco received 3 out of 5 Forks rating as they do not offer non-fried appetizers and nutrition information is not available.  Soccer Taco offers an on-line menu with their lunch specials and daily specials, so try to plan your healthy dining experience before you go!  Soccer Taco is a dine-in restaurant located on Kingston Pike in the Bearden area and a new opening in Market Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment