Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From the Guide to Good Eating to My Plate: The Progression of the Food Guide

By now you have likely seen the latest rendition of the USDA food guide My Plate.  Whether you love or hate My Plate you will likely get a kick out of walking down memory lane looking at all the USDA Food Guides…

In the 1940’s, the USDA released the Guide to Good Eating with the basic 7 food groups, of which butter and margarine constituted their own group!



In the late 1950’s, Food for Fitness was released, and the basic 7 had been condensed to only four groups.
In 1979, Americans were ready for something new, and the Hassle-Free Daily Food Guide was developed.




Keep reading about the progression of the American food guides...
In 1984, the American Red Cross released the Food Wheel: A Pattern for Daily Food Choices, which included goals for adequate nutrition and moderation.



1992 saw the release of the first actual pyramid!

By 2005, Americans were ready for a more marketable pyramid, hence the release of My Pyramid.
This June, the USDA released the brand new My Plate.
Click HERE for more information on the past USDA Food Guides.
So which guide is your favorite?  Personally I am torn between the classic 1992 pyramid from my youth, and the basic 7 (who doesn’t want butter included as its own food group?!).
Are you a fan of the new My Plate?  Do you think the USDA should have collaborated with ADA?  Do you think we needed a new food guide?

Submitted by: 

The Fat Dietitian

No comments:

Post a Comment