Tuesday, June 19, 2012

2012 Dirty Dozen Plus and Clean Fifteen Lists

Do you buy organic or stick with conventional produce?

I wasn't really paying attention when the organic movement picked up steam. I was in college then grad school - just trying to stay afloat in my sea of books, papers, and projects. After grad school came some serious personal budget cuts and still no interest in spending more on groceries. Now, I'm debt-free but still following my budget so I pick and choose which fruits and veggies I buy organic.

How do I decide? The Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen Lists (released annually by the Environmental Working Group).

And guess what... there's an app! Of course there is.

The 2012 lists came out today without any huge changes but green beans and kale/greens have been added, turning the Dirty Dozen into the Dirty Dozen Plus.

Simply put, the annual guide helps people determine which fruits and veggies have the most pesticide residues: the Dirty Dozen have the most (buy organic if you can) and the Clean Fifteen have the least (go ahead and save some money - buy conventional).

Source

As stated on the EWG's website, the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies outweigh the risks of pesticide exposure. Please continue including fruits and veggies in your diet no matter if it's organic or conventional!

All the produce in my CSA is organic and we're reminded by the farmer's wife to clean, clean, clean the produce when we get it. You never know what little guys are hanging out in there!



Jen, MS-MPH, RD, LDN

No comments:

Post a Comment